Friday, March 1, 2013

March Color Play

Hello again, Friends! I'm so glad you're joining me today for Papertrey Ink's brand new newsletter feature, Color Play. Each month we'll be sharing a color scheme inspired by a particular photo as well as a project created with said collection of colors. This month's color combo was drawn from this photo (I added the swatches):


The colors I'm using today are Terra Cotta Tile, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold, Soft Stone, and Ripe Avocado. I wanted to use a color palette that had the potential to feel bright and sunny. I don't know about where you are, but here in Ohio it can feel a smidgen dreary in the wintertime. This is a combo designed to let a little light shine in!


I started by stamping my pattern using the large floral cluster from Fancy Folk Art. I filled in the outline using the companion images in the set and adhered that piece to a Soft Stone base that had been textured with the Aida Impression Plate.


Next, I die cut a Mat Stack 5 die and trimmed off one of the long ends to create the shape for my sentiment. I stamped the "thanks" and heat embossed using white detail powder. That was adhered on top of the patterned panel and the entire base was wrapped with saddle stitched ribbon. A threaded button tied off the loose ribbon ends and pinking shears gave them a decorative edge.

I hope you're enjoying the newly redesigned newsletter and this month's Color Play feature! Take care and I'll see you again soon.

Recipe:
Stamps: Fancy Folk Art, Stitched Blooms - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Soft Stone, Ripe Avocado - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Ripe Avocado, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold, Terra Cotta Tile - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Aida Impression Plate, Mat Stack 5 Die, Terra Cotta Tile Saddle Stitched Ribbon, Ripe Avocado Button - Papertrey Ink; White Detail Embossing Powder - Filigree; Perle Cotton - DMC

13 comments:

merryf said...

WOW. That is gorgeous! And now obviously I must get the Folk Art Florals. I love the new idea of Color Play and I LOVE the new look of the newsletter! Congratulations to you for a lot of hard work!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful! I'm looking forward to challenging myself with these new Color Plays.

Joyce said...

Wow--this is gorgeous, and a whole new way for me to look at Fancy Folk Art.

LittleSurferGirl said...

Lizzie, super, SUPER job on the newsletter! I love the way it's compartmentalized and the look of it is refreshing! I can tell it's been a lot of hard work! Congrats! (And, by the way, I love the card, too!)
-Amy

Joyce said...

Hey there, Lizzie--I just had an idea for the newsletter--for you to consider. Could there be an linky thing somewhere that would be up for the month, were anyone who made anything inspired by any portion of the newsletter could post whatever they made? We could get more inspiration from each other, as well as share ideas. No prizes would be necessary (although prizes are always nice). Just a thought, as I sit down to make something with Friends till the End, inspired by what I saw today.

Lizzie Jones said...

That's a great idea, Joyce! Would a topic on the forum work or did you have something else in mind?

Kathy Mc said...

Excellent job on the newsletter, Lizzie, and love your card. Your Color Play idea is super and love this month's inspirational color scheme. WTG!

Tigriswillreign said...

Lovely, Lizzie!

Jen Carter said...

This is very pretty Lizzie! I love the colors! Great job on the newsletter! It looks fantastic!

Jeni Glee said...

I just had to write and tell you how much I enjoyed reading the newsletter! It is colorful, very interesting and so, so FABULOUS! Thank you!

Randi said...

Love the colors....and you were kind in describing our central Ohio weather:-)

Lee Anne said...

Thank you, Lizzie! You make me want Fancy Folk Art more than I already do. Your card is lovely! I used your color combo here:
http://motherofonewifeofone.blogspot.com/2013/03/lots-of-love.html

Suzanne Russell said...

Beautiful card, Lizzie, and a great way to use Fancy Folk Art. The color challenge is a wonderful way to think about spring.

I love the whole new look of the newsletter. Thanks for taking that on. : )