Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July Color Play

Hello, everyone! Isn't it a glorious July morning? That's right, it's July and that means it's time for the Papertrey Ink July Color Play feature. This month we're working with a color palette of Terracotta Tile, Summer Sunrise, Limeade Ice, New Leaf, and Aqua Mist inspired by this photo from Cannelle et VanilleAran Goyoaga's food, photography, and life blog. Isn't her photography gorgeous?


I loved this photo from the moment I saw it. The bright citrus just seems to dance against the neutrals and cooler tones in the frame. These are some of my favorite Papertrey colors and I knew I'd have fun using them together on my Color Play project this month. Also, just like last July 1st, it happens to be my birthday (funny how that works, isn't it?), so today's card is a little birthday ditty for myself (heads up...I think this may become a thing). Ha!


I began by die cutting the mason jar from Friendship Jar and stamped the outline with Aqua Mist ink. Next, I poured some shimmer spray onto a paint palette and tinted it with a couple of drops of Aqua Mist reinker. I painted the tinted shimmer spray directly onto the water image (also from Friendship Jar) and stamped that onto the jar die cut. The result is a softer version of Aqua Mist with a subtle shimmer that I absolutely love (unfortunately, it proved very difficult to capture on camera - if you look closely at the photo below you can sort of see it). There's also a soft mottling in the "water" which is really nice. I set that aside to dry for a few minutes while I stamped on my card base.


I continued by stamping my stems onto a white card base. I traced a jar outline first so I knew where I needed my stems to go and created a bouquet from there. I used rock & roll inking on some of the stems to create a little depth and make everything blend together nicely. This loose arrangement reminds me of the bouquets we've been buying at the farmers market lately. So sweet and just slightly wild. I added my stems to my jar by protecting my card front with a piece of acetate and lining up the stamps as closely as possible. It may note be the most precise technique, but it works for me. Next, I added my tiny flowers (again with rock & roll inking for visual depth). Then, I stamped "birthday" in the space beside my jar using Smokey Shadow ink.


I carefully rolled the jar between my fingers to give it a domed shape and tied a little twine bow around its neck. Then, I adhered it to my card front using a single layer of narrow foam tape along the edges and a triple layer of foam tape in the center. The structure of the adhesive will help the jar remain rounded even if the cardstock wants to flatten back out.


Next, I die cut three "happy" words from Terracotta Tile cardstock using the Wet Paint Cuts Die Collection. I stamped one of the cuts with the "da" from birthday and adhered them together to make the word nice and stable. I then mounted that to the card front with tiny bits of foam tape. I finished the card off by embellishing the flowers with tiny dots of 3D shimmer paint.

That's all for me today, friends. Now, if y'all don't mind, I'm going to go hang out with my super-amazing fella at an endangered animal preserve and conservation center. I'm really looking forward to the special tours we're taking. It seems like 30 is starting of pretty spectacularly from where I'm sitting. Have a great day, everyone!

Recipe:
Stamps: Friendship Jar, Larger Than Life, Wet Paint - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Terracotta Tile - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Aqua Mist, New Leaf, Limeade Ice, Summer Sunrise, Terracotta Tile, Smokey Shadow - Papertrey Ink
Other: Jar & Lid Die, Wet Paint Cuts Die Collection, Aqua Mist reinker - Papertrey Ink; Pearl Shimmer Spray - Tattered Angels; Crochet Thread; Foam Tape - Scotch; 3D Shimmer Paint - Scribbles

5 comments:

June K said...

Such a pretty card, Lizzie. I love all the different shades of green stems.

StephH said...

Lizzie, this card it spectacular! I love all the detail you created with the tinted shimmer spray, the way you built your bouquet and the sentiment. Truly a masterpiece! I have three b'day cards to make this week and will definitely be CASEing this for one of them! Thanks!

Sean Jones said...

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Deborah said...

Beautifully designed card, love the colors. And you captured the look of a hand picked farmers market-type of bouquet perfectly. A very Happy Birthday to you, and my mom!

Unknown said...

Love the colors and the card!!!! You keep outdoing yourself:-)